Minutes of the PACT AGM - Wednesday 14 January 2015, St Peter's
Those present: John Callaghan (Chair) Rev Will Hughes Helen Mason Linda Read Brian Edwards Chris Tully Rev.Judith Bee Tricia Ide John Ide Terry Thraves David Rice Olivia Tottle Ken Tottle Declan Murphy Lindy Young, Rev Richard Saunders Tim Concannon Vanessa Dowse Janet Owen Emma Dean, Steve Field Penny Callaghan
Apologies from: Simon Mason Paula Hudson Liz and John Studd Rosemary Davies Bobs Moat Hilary Bonney Rev. Jo Farrell Andy Hall Rev Peter Hollins,
Rev. Max Cross Rev. Tom James
1. Opening prayer by John Callaghan, thanking God for all that has been done in the name of PACT this year.
2. Minutes of 2014 were approved and there were no matters arising.
Proposed by Brian Edwards Seconded by Terry Thraves
3. Chairman’s report: John referred to his written report. He was pleased to see lots of PACT committee members present. He said they are a new committee just finding their feet! Rev Beth started ‘Cuppa and Company’ as a new venture this year. Not all the PACT reports have been received, but some will be found later on the PACT website.
Caroline Lacklinson visited the committee and talked about the Kings Arms Project and the new developments. There is no statutory funding so they are thankful that churches commit to giving funds.
Food banks reported that they need more supporters. Please highlight this request on your newsletters. Need more support for the team.
Everyone enjoyed the carol singing around the town and led by Will Hughes.
Our activities as Churches together, is the essence of what we do in the town.
4.Linda Read spoke about the soup run. Peter Read from Liss runs this. Has been going for 9 months. These Monday nights on the square has been a blessing as it is taking the Fathers love into the community. If you can't come and help please pray between 6-8.30 pm on Monday.
5. Treasurers report: Thanks to Chris Tully thorough and dependable as always. Each church’s contribution is related to the size of their congregation. Some raised from services ie the unity service. Most expenditure is on Christmas and Easter cards. Extra insurance because of the soup run. Changed the system of Craft Bank to pay when you go.
Donations from those at the Christmas lunch, went to KINGs arms. Greatest donation to the Christmas Lunch was from Waitrose. Why does food bank need money?- for the perishable items
Holiday Club expenses. Most donations from children attending. Junior helpers didn't claim at all. Registration had lanyards for security. Gifts to caretaker etc.
Proposer to adopt the accounts Steve Field and seconded by Tim Concannon
6. Election of Chair. Rev Will Hughes. Tradition of having a Vice Chair, but no volunteers. Would like to broaden it out, not just clergy
7. Other Partnership and Linked Reports - see all the Annual Reports
- Report from Declan (Chair) of Home Start Butser Thanks to PACT for positive encouragement. Most volunteers from churches. Helping families in distress, supporting 73 families with over 169 children. Now more agencies are involved with the same families We recruit and train volunteers to go for a few hours a week to support these families. 60 volunteers are mainly church members. About to start a new training course. A Family Group meets weekly.
Mainly financial needs as HCC a have withdrawn their grant worth 17% of the £80,000 expenditure per year. Lottery bid failed and children in Need grant.
Run lots of events ie Quizzes to raise money. 10 Home Starts in Hampshire, two had to give up recently. Need trustees and members. Declan is volunteering to talk to any church who would like him to. John Callaghan prayed blessing on this project
- Richard Saunders spoke about Lady Joan Macdonald who died in 2013. Her son set up a taxi fund to help people who couldn't drive and the taxi firm would keep an account and charge to the fund. Her son would like the churches to organise it. We need to decide if we'd like to do it. Someone asked is it just for Petersfield? Outer villages are having real trouble now the bus service is reduced
- Judith Bee spoke about PROSPECTS. A group for people with learning difficulties. Need a new leader to take over as Sylvia Parnell had to close in the summer when she was ill. Some of those who went have been helped by the SA. Hopefully, a new leader will come forward.
- Will Hughes spoke about Christian Aid on behalf of Hattie.
Committee met three times, reps from some of the churches
£5,703 from collections, walks, harvest supper and this year soup lunch.
- Helen Mason and Patsy have produced a bible study for the week of Christian unity. It is the official international Churches Together study, just personalised the prayers for Petersfield.
8. Any Other Business: 4.30 pm service for Unity on Sunday at St. Peter’s Church where Rev. Will Hughes will be installed as the new Chair of PACT.
John Callaghan introduced David Rice who leads the Methodist church
9. Date for next year's AGM Wednesday 13th January 2016
Closing Prayer we said the Grace together.